With every new year comes new resolutions. Our resolution for 2013 at Solutions Northwest, Inc. is to bring you a monthly blog post on ergonomics. Improving our health is a popular resolution, so this month we are sharing some ergonomic exercises and stretches you can do to keep healthy and feel better while you are working.
Neck and Shoulders:
- Shoulder Circles – Lift your shoulders toward your head. Pinch the shoulder blades to roll the shoulders back, and let the shoulders drop down to the starting position. Try to move the shoulders in a circular fashion.
- Shoulder Shrugs – Lift your shoulders toward your head. Hold for 1-3 seconds and then relax.
- Shoulder Pinches – Pinch your shoulder blades together. Hold for 1-3 seconds and then relax.
- Catch and Release – Clench your fists slowly. Hold for a few seconds. Slowly open your hand and spread your fingers. Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Flex and Extend – Raise your arms out in front of you with your palms facing down and your fingers flat. Slowly extend your wrists and fingers so they are pointing up. Hold this position for a few seconds. Slowly lower wrists and fingers so that they are pointed toward the ground. Hold for a few seconds.
Stretches and Other Ways to Relax
- Close your eyes tightly for a second, and then open them widely. Repeat several times.
- Re-focus your eyes momentarily on an object at least 20 feet away.
- Place your hands together with the fingers spread apart and fingertips at chin level. Slowly lower hands, peel them apart, and reverse the process. Repeat several times
- Slowly turn your head to the side and hold for 10 seconds. Alternate sides and repeat several times.
- Stand up from your chair. With your hands on your hips and your feet shoulder width apart, slowly lean the hips forward and shoulders slightly back. Hold the stretch for 5-10 seconds
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.