Spring is in the air and the garden is calling you.
Whether you think of it as a joy or a chore, the following tips will help keep your body healthy while gardening.
- Before doing extensive yard work, it is a good idea to warm up by taking a 15 minute walk or doing another form of cardio.
- Vary tasks every half hour so that you don’t do the same task for too long. Setting a timer every half hour will help you remember.
- When pruning, make sure the plant is directly in front of you to avoid over reaching.
- Try to avoid kneeling and use a garden stool instead.
- If you must kneel, use a padded kneeler.
- Avoid twisting while shoveling.
- Use good form, bend with your knees rather than bending forward with your back.
- Take stretch breaks every 15-30 minutes.
- When possible, use tools which allow you to stand while using them.
- Don’t fill the wheelbarrow too full.
- Use a wagon for transporting.
- Use manageable containers which are not too large for harvest.
- Keep your tools in good shape.
- Choose tools with soft handles which fit your grip. You can also add foam rubber or grip tape to add padding to hard handles.
- Consider raised beds and containers. They require less bending than plants which are in the ground.
- Wear gloves when handling soil. Baseball batting gloves also work.
- Wear safety glasses when using power tools.
- Create a hip-waist high surface to use to replant plants to reduce bending
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.